[Gllug] IPv6 allocation options

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Jan 20 12:31:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:11:53PM +0000, Bernard Peek wrote:
> On 20/01/11 11:36, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/internet_fridges.php
> >   "The Electrolux Cyber fridge was released in 2006 and
> >    it pretty much sums up the current state of the market
> >    for Internet fridges. As the Appliancist website noted:
> >
> >      "The Screenfridge is equipped with a computer and a
> >       touch screen so you can surf the Internet, send
> >       e-mails and buy and order food for your home without
> >       leaving the kitchen [...]"
> >
> >    In other words, it's just a computer tacked onto a fridge.
> >    No automation, no RFID tags, none of the 'Internet of
> >    Things' functionality we're all looking forward to.
> >    Clearly the age of the Internet fridge hasn't yet arrived."
> >
> > The fridge has been waiting for IPv6 of course ;-P
> >

> I think what's missing is the standardisation of packaging, like what
> has happened to the road haulage industry and containerisation. If the
> fridge/freezer storage could be based on standard containers then
> kitchen automation becomes a possibility. You need a system that can
> automate the whole process of ordering food through delivery to domestic
> storage and cooking. Alternatively build a system that will take an
> order for food over the Internet and deliver it freshly cooked at the
> door....

Perhaps this whole Internet Fridge idea is addressing the wrong problem.
They should develop some kind of general "nutrient soup" that they could
just pipe into all our homes as another utility alongside phone, water,
electric and gas. This avoids the need for fridges, supermarkets, or
indeed kitchens at all. You can turn the redundant kitchen into another
bedroom, thus adding 20,000 to the value of your house. Everyone wins
and don't need no IPv6 for it [1]

Regards,
Daniel

[1] Is this far enough offtopic yet ;-P