[Gllug] ADVERT: Shell Scripting book

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jul 19 22:13:42 UTC 2011

On 19 Jul 2011, Steve Parker uttered the following:
> I am quite unashamed in using uppercase variable names, particularly
> for default values,

I tend to use uppercase for globals and lowercase for things declared
with local or typeset. Among other things this encourages me to use
local and typeset more. :)

>                 but I acknowledge that there are strong views for
> and against. I also find that lowercase variable names can get a bit
> "lost" in shell scripts, where everything else is lower case too.
> Having said that, C code tends to have all lowercase and gets away
> with it

A lot of text editors can syntax-highlight C. Damn few can
syntax-highlight ksh or bash, and none at all can do zsh reliably.

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk