[Gllug] My Internet experience in the West at times is comparable to female foeticide

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Wed Jun 22 11:08:33 UTC 2011

Nix wrote:
> I dunno, you never know when something might go wrong. Me, I had a hot
> spare. It turned out to be very useful. I learned the value of failover
> early!

I can see the value in that, however think you are still running a risk
there.

> (US Christian 'ensoulment at conception' people tend to go away when I
> ask them if this means I only have half a soul. The answer is obviously
> yes, as anyone who knew me would attest!)

I am concerned about this "hot spare" idea, either it is fully up to
date in which means
you are running, raid 1 mirrored souls (so have 2 but they are the same)
or you will
need to detect the impending failure of your primary soul and will need
time to down
load it to your spare otherwise you will risk oblivion. However this
risk could be minimized
by proactive early soul replacement, swapping out as the risk of failure
rises. If you don't mind having
a "gappy" soul, you could update it periodically, however if you are
overwriting your backup soul,
and get a failure at that point you could end up with a corrupted soul
with all that entails.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk