[Gllug] coreutils checksums

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jun 14 16:00:40 UTC 2011

On 14 Jun 2011, Richard W. M. Jones verbalised:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:30:52PM +0100, Nix wrote:
>> That's not practical without much larger changes to ld.so (to read this
>> metadata) than were needed for prelink. Also the extra directory and
>> file lookups would have slowed the loading process right back down
>> again, negating prelink's effect.
>
> Quite probably.  Better would be not to prelink at all, since I've not
> noticed any difference from using it on some machines and turning it
> off on others.  Then again, I guess I don't use OpenOffice.

After the introduction of DT_GNU_HASH, there isn't much of a speed
difference because all the linear searches for symbol names that really
slowed big C++ programs down are gone. But it still saves memory (not
that most people really care about that anymore except on dinky embedded
systems).

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk