[Gllug] Off Topic: Backup ISP

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sat Mar 26 22:43:07 UTC 2011

On 26/03/11 21:00, Mick Farmer wrote:
> One obvious alternative is adding Virgin broadband to our
> setup.  What do you think of Virgin's service?

Think like a nuclear power-plant designer. Just what catastrophe are you
attempting to protect against and what level of reliability do you need?
What are the consequences of losing connectivity for a day? That's how
long it will take you to go out and buy a 3G dongle. I'd say that the
marginal benefit of adding a second provider will be negligible. But if
Senate House have more money than sense they might want the backup.
Provided VM has at least 90% uptime then it would be a reasonable backup.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk