[Gllug] Precision M65 screen - horizontal lines ... ut oh :|

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Thu May 26 19:40:34 UTC 2011

'lesleyb' wrote:
>  Hi everyone,
>
>  I have a Dell Precision M65 with horizontal lines appearing on the
>  left of the screen.  They extend from the screen edge to 1 Gkrellm
>  width where GKrellm width=110.  They extend the full height of the
>  screen with some flicker on the lines.
>
>  These lines appear at switch on so I suspect this is not a driver
>  issue.

Correct. The internal screen is faulty.

>  I have tested by attaching the laptop to an external LCD screen and
>  the lines do not appear on that external screen.
>
>  http://www.lcds4less.co.uk/do-i-need-a-laptop-screen.shtml throws me
>  a little.
>
>  "The degree of resolution (horizontal and vertical lines) of a
>  halftone image based on the number of lines-per-inch (lpi) or lines
>  per centimeter, used to create the halftone. The line screen or
>  sometimes called screen frequency at which an image is to be display.
>

>  A screen defect whereby a LCD screen exhibits vertical or horizontal
>  lines and is not due to a defect of the notebook itself.
>
>  Solutions: Connect your laptop to an external monitor. If the image
>  appear on the external monitor, it's indicate a faulty LCD screen."
>
>  I would have thought the lack of any horizontal lines on the external
>  monitor indicates it is the laptop screen and not the on-board
>  grpahics chip, an nVidia G72GL Quadro FX 350M, that has the problem.

You are correct, and that website has remarkably bad English, it's hard
to tell what they were intending to say.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19341560/19731559.aspx

>  seem to both indicate the lack of the problem on the external monitor
>  indicates the graphics chip is at fault.

The Dell website you reference does not have the same problem as you, so
don't apply what it says there to what you're experiencing.

>  I am confused -- can anyone shed light on this ?

As I understand it, the lines issue is related to faulty components
around the edge of the display itself. Solution: change the display (I'm
not brave enough to break out the soldering iron if compressing and
flexing those display edges is not enough!)

Cheers,
--
Alistair Mann
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk