[Gllug] Is linux a good bet for HTPC

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Thu May 5 22:53:38 UTC 2011

On Thu 05 May, damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:

> Mine also sounded like a boeing 747 taking off when it warmed up!
>
> The newer devices use less power and are pretty much completely silent.
> The old advantage of being able to run OtherOS (like a Linux dist) was
> taken away.  Definitely get a new one if you like the idea.
>
> Damion

   All the set-top Freeview boxes I have seen crash frequently, requiring
power disconnection for a few minutes, and too often a complete initial
setup to follow, even more of a pain if it contains a hard disc which also
crashes. Are MythTV and recent boxes better? I suspect part of the problem
is reduced transmitter power until analogue is switched off.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk