[Gllug] Bootable USB backup like OS X dmg?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sun May 29 17:02:06 UTC 2011

On 24/05/11 19:34, Steve Parker wrote:
> On 24/05/11 17:13, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:
>> Steve Parker<steve at steve-parker.org>  writes:

>>> Your device paths etc are likely to be invalid if you boot one server's
>>> image on another server
>>>
>> That's why you use UUIDs and logical volume names, not raw physical
>> device paths, in fstab etc.
>>

> PCI paths to NICs, or MAC addresses? I'm just saying, it's worth being
> aware of these things. /dev/disk/by-* etc is useful, but only goes so
> far.

Aren't those autodetected in the majority of cases? Doing as Dagfinn
suggests and just making sure your devices are referenced by UUID should
be enough. It certainly was for me when I upgraded my Ubuntu system
recently. I took the drives out of my old machine, lashed them into the
new one in arbitrary order, pointed the bios to the system drive and it
booted straight up - no reconfiguration needed (except for my swap but
that was only because I had more RAM in the new box).

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk