[Gllug] QT GUI Project

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue May 10 13:29:39 UTC 2011

On 10 May 2011 10:25, Nuno Pedrosa <nunomdp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a Linux user myself, albeit only at home, as most of you will know, it
> is very hard to work for a company which its main business is not software
> and have Linux installed in your computer.

Buy computer with Linux pre-installed, or install it yourself. Put it
under your desk.
Walk up to your IT types and say "I have a computer to be attached to
the network".

You do have a point though - what you are saying is your IT support
staff will not support it,
as they do not have the skills, and they have a "standard build" of
Windows, yadda, yadda, yadda....

Well OK - the answer to this is to either:
a) hire someone to look after your technical computing
b) buy a Linux system with support from a 3rd party company - I worked
in two companies which build and supply
HPC clusters to a whole range of industries, we had several clients
wheo were small(ish) engineering firms in London,
we suppled the Linux cluster and supported it
c) Run a Linux virtual machine on your Windows box

Option (c) is a surprisingly good way of proceeding.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk