[Gllug] Gaining feedback

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 09:23:06 UTC 2011

Hi,

At work we have a system of sending out documents we have written to
other 3rd parties.
The job of the 3rd party is to review the document and feedback their comments.
We then collect all the comments from all the 3rd parties and import
them into a master list of comments, which we then use to improve the
next document release.
Currently this process uses Excel for people to enter their comments,
and then we import the Excel comments into a database.
The problem is that the Excel format does not seem to be restrictive
enough. I.e. We wish to restrict some fields to specific range of
values etc.
The users invariably enter the data slightly differently, and this
causes problems with the import.
Does anyone know of an opensource package that we present a form to
the user, with drop down boxes for values to put into the form, and
one or two free text box.
It must be possible for the user to enter as many records as they wish.
We then need the form to be exportable to XML format, so that we can
import it easily into our database.
The solution must also be stand alone. I.e. Not web server or web
service/clound based.
I.e. A person with a laptop that is not connected to the network
should be able to raise comments.

Any ideas?

Kind Regards

James