[Gllug] Smart cities get their own operating system -what underlies the McClaren OS?

Richard W.M. Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Oct 4 12:48:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 05:51:33AM +0100, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> On 04/10/11 01:52, Malcolm Blackmore wrote:
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15109403
> >
> > Smart cities get their own operating system
> > Katia Moskvitch By Katia Moskvitch Technology reporter, BBC News
>
> Great. We can't build something as simple as an online patients record
> database, we can barely secure our own personal computers / bank
> accounts and there's industrial control system malware loose on the
> internet and now some blue sky consultant muppets want to wire 50
> billion arbitrary devices together (some of them part of life critical
> systems), remove humans from the equation and let them "figure out" the
> "best solutions" between themself. What could possibly go wrong?

LOLs ...

I think I've heard this before anyway.  The famous Japanese TRON
project for one (and "5th generation computing").

Another attempt was JINI.  Make everything a Java object, that's a
great idea!

Then Olivetti Research Lab tried to make every (physical) thing into a
CORBA object.

My prediction is this will go the way of all of these other projects.
Also that more and more critical systems will be connected to the
internet (in the boring old fashioned sense, not through an "urban
OS"), these will all be secured very poorly, and this will provide
decades of entertainment for crackers, researchers and law
enforcement.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones