[Gllug] GConfd

Sanatan Rai sanatan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 20:18:55 UTC 2011

On 20 September 2011 17:42, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> On 20 Sep 2011, Sanatan Rai told this:
>
>> Hi all,
>>    I notice that gconfd starts up on my machine even when I am not
>> running anything using GNOME.
>
> That just means you started something using GNOME in the past: gconfd is
> persistent and keeps running after its parent is dead.

   Ok, I get that. I kill it after running somethng that needs it, eg geeqie.
For example, it is running now. I killed that last copy around the time I sent
the initial email, and I haven't started any GTK+/GNOME stuff since then.

>>   Strangely, the processed is owned by my userid but its PPID is init,
>> this really seems strange.
>
> This 'adoption' behaviour is a universally-applicable Unix thing (wired
> into the kernel): init(8) adopts all processes whose parents die.

    I see. Thanks for this, I didn't know this.

    So this must be for child processes that trap the SIGHUP sent by the parent
when it dies, right?

   Thanks!

--Sanatan
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk