[Gllug] Laptop Fedora MAC Address

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 12 09:40:35 UTC 2012

On 11 April 2012 18:41, Mick Farmer <mick at plan7.co.uk> wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> I'm running Fedora 16 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.
>
> When I boot the machine I get a Ethernet different MAC address!
>
> I can't imagine the laptop doing this (?), so is it a function of
> Fedora?  If so, how do I stop it?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mick

I would check the eeprom in the laptop, I would not put it past them
to have a random MAC :-), in any case it would be helpful to see what
you have there.

When you say you get a different MAC do you mean that you get the same
every time but different from the one stated on the machine or that
you get a new different MAC every time you boot?

What is in your

/etc/sysconfig/networking & /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface>

files?

those are places where a MAC could be set.

Also, are you doing any KVM (virtualization) set up?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk