[Gllug] emai notification on login

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sat Feb 18 11:40:12 UTC 2012

John Edwards writes:

>To be honest you would probably be better served by setting up an
>forward or alias to get those emails off the server into a more
>"modern" email system which is more familar to you and which you
>can access with an email client using IMAP or POP3.

Why are you assuming that the presence of $MAIL implies an obsolete
mail reading system? And why are you assuming that IMAP or POP3 are
desireable? While those things may be true, they're certainly not
necessarily so. I have no need for IMAP or POP3, for example.

To answer the original question, it all depends on what you're
using to read mail, and where it stores its information about which
messages are unread.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk