[Gllug] Schoolboy Grammar

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 18:21:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:57:53 +0100 Stuart Sears <stuart at sjsears.com>
wrote:

>  English grammar is really very weird anyway, as it appears to have
> been an attempt to apply the niceties of Latin grammar to a non-latin
>  language.

One of my bugbears is the "you cna't end a sentence in a preposition"
nonsense. This is true in Latin but it's perfect okay to do so in
English. Fowler calls t a "modern affectation" and points out that, in
the King James Bible, in Genesis chapter 28, I believe, God ends a
sentence in a preposition.

>  A classic example was the 'split infinitive' silliness, which
>  thankfully appears to have gone away now.

You mean "to have finally gone away"!

(Delayed due to Virgin broadband being down!)

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk