[GLLUG] Free Open Source Software and UK Education

sean tohill S.Tohill at westminster.ac.uk
Tue Nov 20 13:23:57 UTC 2012

On 20/11/12 12:46, Chris Bell wrote:
>     The BETTshow is normally HUGE and I have not yet read through the
> exhibitor list for 2013, but there could already be some stands booked for
> individual FOSS projects. Most projects are now web based, so system
> independant. Up till recently the government based stands pushed Microsoft
> and refused to acknowledge FOSS, although some individual stands did mention
> something like "also works with Linux". At BETT 2012 staff on government
> stands simply refused to suggest or recommend any OS, but very few had even
> heard of FOSS.
>     One major problem is that many schools have contracted out all their IT
> systems, and are only allowed to request facilities from their supplier. I
> have previously been asked to install a small IT network which had to have
> absolutely no connection to their existing setup so as not to infringe their
> existing contract.

check my post to the list a couple of weeks ago about Open Standards
Principles.

schools will be required to supply and receive data and documents from
government bodies in specified open standards. there is also a software
interoperability requirement. this may not be a huge immediate change
but will have a gradual impact. worth pointing out on any promotional
material you provide.

regards

sean

--
The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by
guarantee.  Registration number: 977818 England.  Registered Office: