[GLLUG] What have BT done to our nearest cabinet?

Jacob Mansfield cyberjacob at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 17:46:42 UTC 2013

On 26 Jul 2013, at 5:43PM, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 14:00 +0100, John Winters wrote:
>>
>> Could this possibly be the long-awaited FTTC upgrade?  They upgraded our
>> exchange a year ago, but didn't bother to do the cabinets, so although
>> our exchange appears on the list of those with FTTC available, you can't
>> actually order it.
>>
>> Anyone know whether this is what an FTTC upgrade looks like?
>>
>> John
>
> On our street (an early test site for FTTC), they completely replaced
> the cabinets.  The new ones are very shiny deep green and have audible
> fans. The vents are around the back, rather than in the doors, but yours
> could be some kind of retro-fit upgrade.
>
> The other possibility is that it's a new cell site - the MNOs are
> putting in endless "micro cells" to fill in all the little service
> holes.  You may find that there's an adjacent grey pole that flares at
> the top which is usually installed at the same time as the micro site.
>
> C.

BT Openreach associate here (Openreach managed all of BT's cables and infrastructure)
If you can post/link a photo of the upgraded box, I can try and find it in the system and tell you exactly what work has been done.
Chances are, if it has fans, it's got the FTTC equipment inside. Another telltale sign is the 240v warning sticker on a separate door on the left side of the box.

Kind Regards,
Jacob Mansfield