[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Mar 7 23:50:46 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 9:30 PM, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> On 7 Mar 2013, Chris Bell stated:
> >    Jason at UKFSN tells us that SKY have purchased O2 (and I assume Be)
> > landlines and broadband under an agreement that existing wholesale terms
> and
> > conditions will be respected for the immediate future.
>
> I'm sure RevK will find a replacement if Be go bad (their latency is
> already noticeably worse than BT's) -- but whether that replacement will
> have kit in my exchange is another matter.

Right now it's not an issue as the Sky announcement was just that they
intend to purchase the Telefonica/O2 consumer broadband and pstn business
including all network assets. They have not actually done so as yet. Of
course I don't think that anything will prevent them doing so - only that
it will take some time to happen so there wont be any changes at all for
some months.

What happens after Sky have completed the purchase of the network assets
will depend upon the specifics of the agreement Sky and Telefonica/O2 make
with regard to wholesale access to the LLU network and how Sky manage the
network once they have it.

I've been assured that there should not be any change for at least 12
months. If that holds true then the same will be true for A&A.

As for possible replacements by experience with C&W is that their LLU
network is OK when it works but when there are problems they take a long
time to resolve and far too much effort. CPW/TalkTalk do not offer real
unlimited on their LLU platform to my knowledge. That covers O2/Be, C&W and
CPW. Sky don't currently offer a viable wholesale product and I don't think
one would fit well into their model. I would not touch Tiscali with a barge
poll. All the other operators offering LLU are so small as to be irrelevant.