[GLLUG] New printer needed

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 10:23:38 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 11:00:28AM +0100, Bernard Peek wrote:
> On 16/10/14 17:05, Alain Williams wrote:
> >I have a brother MFC printer (inkjet - print, scan, copy, fax). Recently the
> >black has been coming out streaky: a 100% black page comes out as a repeating
> >horisontal pattern which suggests that some of the jets are blocked, this seems
> >to be a Brother hazard:
> I have a Brother colour laser MFC that works fine with Linux. MFC-9460CDN

That is what I had (a Brother MFC), the one where the ink jets got clogged.

I decided to not get another one because ~2.5 years after I bought it I upgraded
to Centos 6 - to find that it was no longer supported. Their support people were
not very interested, I got the impression that once sold that was it. I got it
going by copying across stuff from centos 5.

I had someone recommend a Samsung printer. It was not clear what the
printer/scanner support was like. I 'phoned them, they told me to 'phone their
support company who promptly pushed me back to Samsung. Samsung asked me to send
an email - which has not even been acknowledged.

I decided that Samsung did not deserve my business.

I eventually chose a HP Officejet (6700 Premium) - it does duplexing (double
sided) in addition to print, scan, copy & fax.  Although I hate HP because of
their rip off ink prices - I do not do much printing and have found a supplier
of cheap cartridges.

HP's web site documents VERY well what features work with what versions and
releases of Linux. They provide HPLIB for various platforms.

Message to other printer manufacturers: it is easy to lose sales.

#100 (inc VAT) from Staples. It should arrive on Monday.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/