[GLLUG] Paid help sought

Rob Bowman rob at artangel.org.uk
Thu Mar 26 13:15:28 UTC 2015

Tristan this is really helpful and has sent me scurrying off to look things up. It has become a slightly different line of enquiry from the original.

So now I am thinking, what if...

- The sound file(s) are saved on my machine, say as mp3 (mac osx 10.9)
- My machine is connected to my £30 router via an ethernet cable into a LAN socket (the WAN socket of which is not used)
- Which in turn is connected to Ubiquiti access point that hosts the hotspot login (via ethernet, advised wd be with PoE)

Then

I turn on a webserver on my machine (apache); on your mobile you see the wifi from the AP, hit the hotspot, it bumps you straight to a local IP 192.168.1.X and which is the ip of my Mac-as-webserver, and that downloads, or shows as available to download locally one or more files. (Don’t know how to do this linking within the homepage: would location take the form of file://xxxxxx/xxxx.xxx ?)

No-one sees any internet, but the job’s done and I’m £120 better off.

If for some reason I couldn’t get the hotspot to forward user to the right page, can I give 192.168.1.x a user-friendly name on the local network so it can be typed in. (Edit the hosts file?)

Rob