[GLLUG] Seemingly Simple Question

john at sinoda.demon.co.uk john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 09:57:24 UTC 2015

On 02/11/15 22:57:55, lists at boywithwings.co.uk wrote:

> I'm thinking either a T410 or X220. The main goal would be a tough
> laptop that I could use for DJing and Music Production. Unfortunately
> this means I would have to run Windows on it (URGH UNCLEAN) to run
> some of the music software I rely. I would probably dual boot with
> Ubuntu Studio.
>
> Those two Thinkpads are a great choice as they have Firewire 400,
> which I need for my current audio interface. All very legacy.
>
> My question is mainly, which one do people recommend for my use case?
> I do a lot of lugging equipment around the UK (and Europe), so that
> would push me towards the X220.

Three T410 all running Debian (two Wheezy and one Jessie).
Rock solid and reliable. Heavy!!

The only problem we have is replacement PSUs which while cheap at about
£8 have a habit of breaking just where the plug shroud ends. I know
that is the weak spot and is always bending, but the original PSUs were
better quality.

Battery life is good and they are thrown about in backpacks, but I
guess the X220 has better battery life as it is driving a smaller
screen. The T410s has the 1.8" hard disk whereas the T410 is the 2.5"

Like everything else it is going to be a trade between what you want
and what you can make do with. Bigger screen versus heavier. I have not
seen a X220T which is the one with the spinney screen that can work as
a tablet.

Like everyone else YMMV and you have to remember any shipped late last
year could be Superfish infected if you are running that other OS.
Although not hitting Thinkpad models Lenovo were responsible for the
firmware Lenovo Service Engine which would phone home to report on you
earlier this year.

Would I personally buy another T410 - Yes, but I do not run Windows and
they are cheap.

regards
John