[GLLUG] Help for a newbie. Installing Ubuntu

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue May 24 06:03:56 UTC 2016

On 24/05/16 06:21, James Courtier-Dutton via GLLUG wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From a quick google, it seems that you need a 32bit linux install usb
> stick to boot. 64bit efi boot will not work. Only 32bit efi boot will
> work

I can assure you that neither works!.  One of my colleagues managed to
install "Puppy" by removing the drive from the computer altogether,
writing to the drive directly using a USB to SATA adaptor and another
computer, and directly writing to the BIOS to change some of the OS
flags.  It took a whole day to get it (sort of) working - wi-fi and
sound proved to be impossible - and he only carried on because of
stubbornness - he wasn't going to be beaten by a cheap laptop!  The
computer was returned for credit because it was "not fit for purpose".

The obverse of that is a Toshiba laptop that I installed last weekend.
The owner complained that Windows was dreadfully slow and kept demanding
that she allowed it to install updates.  It gained a dual-boot with
Linux Mint at first, and the owner tried it for an hour or so, said that
this was how expected the machine to work, and asked me to completely
delete Windows!   I heard her proselytising about Linux to her sister,
and I've been asked to install Mint to another laptop and to a desktop
machine.....