[GLLUG] ISP - How slow is usefull?

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at skimble.plus.com
Tue Apr 11 17:04:12 UTC 2017

John Southall via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> writes:

> On 11/04/17 13:20, John Winters via GLLUG wrote:
>> On 10/04/17 23:26, John Southall wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> I suppose that if I go with A&A, I can use my mobile and Skype? Does
>>> anyone do this? Where's the catch?
>> What I did was to migrate our old landline number to being a VoIP
>> number, and now all our home phone calls come in over the data
>> connection.  The physical line exists just to carry the broadband
>> connection.
> That makes sense, I will probably try that next time.
> As a matter of interest, is there a suitable modem, or would I have to run a small/Raspberry Pi
> server?
>>
>> Having said that, if you do get a really slow connection you might find
>> that VoIP (and Skype) deteriorate when you are using the line for other
>> purposes as well.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> John
>>

> Thank you to one and all for your help.
> KISS, I have signed up for PlusNet broadband and phone.

I've been with plusnet for a couple of years now and with no complaints,
except for when I used their modem they were able to tell me that I had
misconfigured the modem and what commands and how to put it right. I was
left with the feeling that maybe they had a back-door into their modem,
which I didn't like so I bought myself a 'TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless N USB
VDSL/ADSL modem router, model number TD-W 9970', and I've had no
problems at all since then.

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 8.6, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1.1