[GLLUG] Direct Fibre To The House

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Mon Aug 29 11:33:20 UTC 2022

Hi Chris,

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 11:40:15AM +0100, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> There are many full fibre suppliers, so is this the normal for UK domestic
> customers?

I would expect most domestic broadband to come with non-static IPv6, yes.
For no other reason than that a static v6 assignment is useful to a
minority, and therefore worth charging extra for. That's not what
was intended by the designers of IPv6, but it is the commercial
reality.

> An IPv6 dynamic /48 allocation appears to me to make no sense, but
> introduces direct access restrictions affecting security
> monitoring, CA certification, etc.

Why is it any different than a dynamic IPv4 address for all of these
things?

If you don't like the v6 addresses on your LAN changing you can use
a network from ULA space¹ with a default gateway out to the v6
Internet for any other destination.

Cheers,
Andy

¹ https://blog.apnic.net/2020/05/20/getting-ipv6-private-addressing-right/