[GLLUG] Direct Fibre To The House

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Aug 29 12:31:33 UTC 2022

On Monday, 29 August 2022 12:33:20 BST Andy Smith via GLLUG wrote:
> Hi Chris,

> If you don't like the v6 addresses on your LAN changing you can use
> a network from ULA space¹ with a default gateway out to the v6
> Internet for any other destination.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> ¹ https://blog.apnic.net/2020/05/20/getting-ipv6-private-addressing-right/

I have always had a static IPv4 address but no assigned IPv6 block, and my
system has been using that kind of local network addressing system behind a
firewall for ages. It does not enable reliable direct remote monitoring of CCTV
and security systems installed by other family members. I used to run my own
websites, with local routing through the firewall, now provided externally
after problems arranging CA certificates. I had hoped that many problems could
be solved by static IPv6 addressing.
Schools are now teaching IT and computing, and remote control systems are
becoming popular, but not when the dynamic address could change at any time.
A current general lack of  education should not be a permanent block.

--
Chris Bell
Website chrisbell.org.uk