[GLLUG] LVM / KVM Question

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Tue Feb 15 10:35:57 UTC 2022

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 10:19:32AM +0000, Ken Smith via GLLUG wrote:
> I'm contemplating a system where I pass a LVM LV through to a KVM VM.
>
> On the host I'm thinking that I could do a backup of the LV using a LVM
> snapshot.
>
> What am I missing, is this a mad idea?

Many people do this. However:

- Backed up data from the snapshot won't contain working data from
  within the memory of the processes in the VM, so if you restored
  from it, it would be like coming up after a power loss.

- Lots of other KVM disk backends can do snapshots so LVM isn't
  required to do this.

Cheers,
Andy