[GLLUG] Rocky Linux on HP ML350G6 - Motherboard failure??

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Sun May 15 12:37:10 UTC 2022

Hi All, This might seem a bit of an off the wall question. Would running
the 5.4 Kernel stress a system such that it could cause a motherboard
failure? I can't think how but.....

More details — I’m running (or was running) various KVM VM’s as well as
MythTV server on the host machine with Rocky Linux 8.5 (Kernel 4.18)
with a couple of DVB PCIe capture cards. I have found that there is an
anomaly in the stock DVB driver for those cards, in the 4.18 kernel
causing the DVB card to stop responding in some situations. I loaded 5.4
Kernel from ELRepo, that is supposedly built from the standard config.
Although it does not have the DVB media driver stack, I built the
current DVB Media stack from source. The anomaly is supposed to be fixed
in the current version of DVB media drivers.

All was working fine for a few hours and this, I hope, is complete
co-incidence, the machine crashed and it now appears that the BIOS is
corrupt. It will show some of the Post messages but the options to enter
BIOS Setup (RBSU in HP speak) don’t work and it won’t boot anything.
Neither the Raid array, a USB stick or from PXE on the network. I’ve
tried swapping memory and stripping the machine down to the bare minimum
to start up and resetting it to factory default. No luck. I have a
replacement motherboard on order. My health monitoring of this machine
with Zabbix did not log any significant anomalies in the last few
moments of uptime, no excess temperatures, power consumption or
processor load etc. ILO, which still works, does not show any errors or
alerts either.

But one doubt I have is that this happened just 3 hours after I started
running the 5.4 kernel. It seems a bit far fetched, but is that part of
the picture here or just pure coincidence? I realise I could simply
replace the DVB driver stack in the stock kernel by compiling it up from
source. That is an option too.

Any pearls of wisdom either about my question or about recovering a
miscreant ML350 motherboard that won't boot anything or go into the
setup pages.

Thanks

Ken

believed to be clean.