[GLLUG] Read only?

John Hearns hearnsj at gmail.com
Tue May 24 11:28:43 UTC 2022

Talking about SD cards, the satnav on my Volkswagen used a full size SD
Card.
I bought an up to date SD card - which is not read by the system in the car.
It turns out there is something called CID Locking - the manufacturer is
encoded as a CID number on the SD card.
Any other type of SD Card even though it has a valid filesystem does not
have the manufacturer CID and is rejected.

I read that you cannot use a USB card reader to set or reset the CID.
Does anyone have ideas?  Desktop PCs with 'real' SD Card readers must be
rare as hens teeth these days.

ps. I have used a USB SD Card reader under Fedora Linux