[GLLUG] How can I find out if external audio is connected?

Dr. Axel Stammler axst at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Sep 26 06:54:28 UTC 2022

Hi,

I would like to remind myself of external amplifiers uselessly running so I would like to play a short sound signal once in a while if there is no audio playing. OTOH, the signal should obviously not be played over the built-in speakers. So, how can I find out (preferably using a command-line utility in a script) which of the ‘audio out’ connectors are actually connected to anything (or just have a plug in them) and if anything is played over these connections?

Any remarks greatly appreciated,

Axel