[GLLUG] Roll-out of FTTP / FTTH

James Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 16:42:21 UTC 2023

Hi,

I was told by a BT engineer that there was Fibre to the post outside my
house about 5 years ago. But there was no way to order it from BT. It kept
saying "No coverage".
Then, one of my neighbours recently got FTTP/FTTH from the poll outside my
house. So I complained to BT as to why I could not order it. It turns it
was a typo in their systems, a week later, once they had updated their
computer systems, I could order FTTP/FTTH.  I now have it.  Maybe there are
similar mistakes being made elsewhere. I.e. Coverage provided, but computer
says "no" !
There is about one/two month between ordering FTTP and it getting
installed, so they seem to have more work than they can deal with. When
they installed mine, there were two BT people, with one training the other
on the job. So they are racing to get enough people trained. Optic fibre
splicing is a new technology for them.

FTTP/FTTH seems much more reliable, not dropping out during storms, and
lower latency than VDSL.
One possible downside is that I had to get a new wifi router, because my
old one only did 56Mbps max, and FTTP is at 100Mbps (minimum) and one can
purchase much higher bandwidths.
I have got a Banana-bpi R3 with OpenWRT running on it now. Seems to work
OK, but was a bit fiddly putting it together.   Lessons learnt:  Plug in
antenna cables to the PCB before putting the PCB in the box.

Kind Regards

James