[GLLUG] Installing GRUB on PReP LV

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Fri Feb 3 15:24:12 UTC 2023

On Fri, Feb 03, 2023 at 02:55:26PM +0000, John Hearns via GLLUG wrote:
>Have you tried Dell support?

Hi John,

I would not expect Dell to show much interest in this problem. RedHat support said storage migrations were not supported and the only accepted procedure was to re-install the OS. I left them a 1-star review when I received the feedback email.

I managed to spot the problem myself, as is always the case when I raise tickets with RedHat "support", and it turns out I had missed the fact that RedHat still, in the 21st century, put /boot on a separate DOS-style partition. I was trying to get the script that I wrote for SUSE to apply to RedHat without spotting this detail.

I also created the device.map file, something like:

(hd0)	/dev/mapper/mpathe

And it stopped complaining after that.

Regards,
Henrik Morsing