[GLLUG] Installing GRUB on PReP LV

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Thu Jan 26 16:21:45 UTC 2023

Good afternoon,

I am working on a disk migration project migrating amongst others, SUSE and RHEL LPARs to new storage.

It was a bit of a faff getting the procedure right for the SUSE systems, which is the vast majority, but it works. But trying to migrate the few RHEL systems, when it comes to installing GRUB, I get this:

[root at dl2039 ~]# grub2-install /dev/mapper/mpathe-part1
Installing for powerpc-ieee1275 platform.
grub2-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/mapper/mpathe-part1.  Check your device.map.

RedHat "support" is no help what so ever and just mumble something about moving /boot is not supported.

Does anyone have any idea what this device.map is?

--
Regards,
Henrik Morsing