[GLLUG] Installing GRUB on PReP LV

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Thu Jan 26 18:02:06 UTC 2023

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 05:22:06PM +0000, James Dutton wrote:

Hi James,

>You don't make it particularly clear what sort of new storage you are using.

EMC 9200T

>Is the new storage visible from the machine at boot time?

We're not rebooting for this, online migrations. GRUB install is the last step in the migration, it is already exclusively running on the new storage at this point.

>If it is, then you will need to edit or create a new "device.map" file, so
>grub knows what to do.

I can find no sign of any "device.map" file on the system and curiously, I do not need to do this on SUSE. You're saying create a new one, in the man page there is a --recheck command that says it deletes the file, nothing about generating a new one. Google is not very helpful regarding device.map. Maybe I could try strace'ing the grub-install command to find a clue. Or maybe if I can find it on SUSE I can compare... Some ideas for tomorrow.

Regards,
Henrik Morsing