[GLLUG] Comments please

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sat Jul 22 18:15:46 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 22 July 2023 17:36:40 BST bap--- via GLLUG wrote:

> So here's a plan:
>
> 1.	Create an open-source healthcare discussion group.
> 2.	Create an international standards body for backbone systems
> 3.	Along with the NHS design and develop
> primary/secondary/tertiary healthcare management tools
>
> a.	To build a free-as-in-beer system for healthcare administration
> in the third-world
> b.	Introduce more free-as-in-speech software to the NHS and
> government
>
> 4.	In a mutual backscratching exercise persuade the NHS to use
> their management and development resources to take over maintenance for
> some of the orphaned open-source utility and infrastructure projects.
> 5.	By working with the NHS and third-world healthcare providers
> develop a consultancy arm of the NHS to co-ordinate international
> systems integration. Open-source by default.
> 6.	By making the NHS the go-to people for large-scale healthcare
> systems position them as the obvious people to implement universal
> healthcare in the USA when the time is right
> 7.	Make the NHS revenue-neutral.
>

> Bernard Peek
>
> 30 Rosemary Crescent, Wigan WN1 3XF
>
>  <mailto:bap at shrdlu.com> bap at shrdlu.com

It might be a good time to start. I believe that a high proportion of IT staff
in general would prefer to move to Free Open Source Software, but they are
fighting against several generations of management whose education curriculum
did not include how computers work, only how to use simple Microsoft end user
programmes. I was introduced to Linux years ago by the IT person where I was
based, but he told me he was not permitted to change anything, just follow the
corporate instructions and keep fixing things as they went wrong. The
curriculum has now been effectively reverted. The government is building a new
high security data centre a few minutes walk from my house in West London, and
plans to update its systems.
--
Chris Bell
www.chrisbell.org.uk