[GLLUG] Printer page layouts

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Thu Jan 11 15:12:56 UTC 2024

Hello,
A long time ago now, I had a package for Acorn computers named Acorn Publisher
which could adjust the printer whole-sheet layout for multiple pages on
multiple sheets.
A friend working as a professional "jobber" printer would pass an individual
file through a chain of processes using software running on multiple operating
systems to adjust edge definition, colour balance, gamma, random noise, and
perhaps select individual colours for Lithographic Masters, then finally Acorn
Publisher would lay out pages so that the sheets could be guillotined and
would appear in the correct order after binding. It worked with any original
shape and size of sheet (perhaps A4, perhaps oversize A0+), to create any final
shape and size ready for binding.
I used it to quickly and easily double-side print something like A6 pamphlets
or instuction manuals on to A4, then I would cut the pages using a hand
operated guillotine, and simply staple the result. It could place page 1
inside or on the front, alongside the last page, with the centre pages
together. If the printer could not print double sided it could print every
other side of sheet, then turn the stack and print the other sides.
Is there anything that is able to do the same job in Linux/Debian?
Thanks for any info.
--
Chris Bell
www.chrisbell.org.uk