[Gloucs] Talks for this month's meeting - lightweight desktops?

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Sun Apr 18 21:16:15 UTC 2010

Andrew Oakley wrote:
> I've taken a recent interest in lightweight desktops such as LXDE,
> Openbox, Fluxbox, IceWM, JWM etc.
>
> I could demonstrate the difference in resource footprint between LXDE
> and Gnome, but I am new to the subject and wouldn't be able to say much
> more about it, but am keen to learn.
>
> There are also lightweight distros such as Lubuntu, Crunchbang, Puppy,
> Damn Small Linux, Knoppix etc., but again I don't know much about them -
> but am keen to learn.
>
> Would anyone be able to demonstrate their favourite lightweight desktop
> or lightweight distro?
>
> Andrew Oakley
> Head of Software Development
> Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
> 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 1HZ
> T 01242 211460  F 01242 211122  W www.hesa.ac.uk

Hi Andrew,

Yes, that would be great if you are happy to do that. I guess we may get
others who offer to stand up and talk on the night.

If I can use your netbook for 5 mins I may be able to do a quick demo of
interest to users of Netgear routers (as long as I can SSH out and my
SLUG plays ball). There is a link to lightwight Linux distros there too.

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies