[Herefordshire] - Reclaiming Partition Space

Dr Chris Owens cowens at clara.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 20:22:41 BST 2004

Julian

    You have cracked it and many thanks :-)).

    Display configured without
difficulty from the root cmd line using 'XFdrake'. Am virtually 100% sure
there is a problem in the Mandrake 10.0 Community Edition since the
Graphical Post-Install Configuration Screen never did lead to a sensible
display even with settings subsequently found to be valid with XFdrake. Also
the best (though not perfect) display is achieved not using the choices made
by Mandrake - ie Savage Generic , sw-cursor (not Savage generic or Savage
MX) with 4MB (not 8MB) and 24 bpp colour. Also the Configuration Test Screen
hangs when loading the text directed version  and neither graphical nor text
directed installations de-mount cleanly when complete at least according to
the log when starting up next time.

    So thanks again to everyone for your help, I am up an running and very
impressed with what I find -  in lots of ways - quite excellent!!

Chris O