[HLUG] Best distro for Apache, MySQL and PHP work? (incl. dotproject, OScommerce, music softs)

Mark Broadbent m.broadbent at signal.QinetiQ.com
Thu Jul 7 16:48:06 BST 2005

Matt Rhys-Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've had a good run with Mandrake 10.1 on my 1.3GHz PC, and now it's
> time to look for another Linux distro that's more industry-standardised
> and professional. I require good implementations of Apache, MySQL and
> PHP, in order to run dotproject and OScommerce; I am advised that LAMP
> (in the form of XAMPP) plus  Mandrake may not be the ideal development
> stack to run these server apps on.
>
> The ideal distro must also be soundcard-friendly, i.e. will permit me to
> run Audacity, Rosegarden etc. for my sound studio operations.

Depends what you mean by industry standard and professional.  As all
Linux distribution basically use the same components to build it you
maybe looking for longevity of support and timeliness of security
updates.  Redhat Enterprise Linux or Suse Professional will be
supporting there distros for 5 or more years with bugfixes and security
updates.  Debian is also a good call for stability and security.
Alternatively ultra modern up-to date would be Fedora Core or Mandrake
for example but these will be obsolete in a year and you're on the
upgrade treadmill (together with the problems that can have, like Phil
said Fedora Core 4 uses PHP5 and a lot of scripts won't like that).

As I said depends what you want, there's a Linux distribution for every
conceivable use be it bleeding edge and ultra stable.

Thanks
Mark