[Herts] More on Newbie Boot Hassle

Geoff Pitt herts at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Feb 3 17:25:03 2003

Hi All

Thanks for your comments so far.  I've done some more research and come =
up with some answers.

The RAID set-up is controlled by a Promise PDC20276 chip (on my Gigabyte =
GA-7VAXP MOBO) and their FastTrak133 software.

I've found an entry on the SuSE support FAQ's giving details of a patch =
from promise for 8.0 - I've downloaded it and tried to install it to no =
avail.

Have been in contact with Promise support who helpfully say they're =
working on a patch for 8.1 (and Redhat 8 ) but can't give a release date =
yet.

Making a boot floppy in YaST2 results in the same errors as writing LILO =
to the boot sector.  I guess I could try ditching win98 and installing =
SuSE on it's own but am worried I'll be without some important hardware =
(canon printer, WLAN etc) for some time until I can find the right =
drivers etc.

Hope to meet some of you on Wednesday.

Cheers

Geoff