[Herts] More on Newbie Boot Hassle

Stephen Birch herts at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Feb 10 09:39:01 2003

The SuSE and Red Hat model is really designed to sell disks so when a new
upgrade comes out you do a full install from the disks. Yes, I know the disks
have an upgrade capability, but I have learned to not trust it. A clean
upgrade is safer.

I don't have a problem with this business model and hope they continue to do
well, I find SuSE to be in incredibly good distribution and would recommend
it without hesitation. Red Hat is also outstanding, although we stopped using
it when they failed to embrace KDE (they do now).

However, upgrading machines remotely requires hands on time on each machine.
Remember, if you are not next to the machine, you cannot even change a disk.

So, to upgrade the system (about 100 computers), I either hire a local tech
and have him/her change disks etc for me or I fly out to the USA. Since
transatlantic travel seems to be pretty inexpensive, traveling is the better
option.

With Debian, I do not have the same problem, apt-get permits me to do upgrades
with absolutely no hands on. Debian has no profit motif and is not in the
business of selling disks - so their network upgrades really do work.

Steve