[Herts] Linux in schools - cont

Oliver Cole herts at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 8 20:19:00 2003

True. However, I am then cut off from printing and [inter|intra]net
access, some of the key features of our existing system. People will
also not wish to remember a new user/pwd pair.

> When it's all working and being used you can start talking about
> linking  it to the main Windoze network, but that bit won't be
> easy, either  technically or politically. When you move on in a
> couple of years, what  happens to support? (But then there's always
> the Herts lug :-)  )

Not easy at all, which is why I think I should start them off on the
main network...

Support is the major thing that is in the back of my mind... maybe
the admin could be persuaded to brush up on his Linux knowledge (he
used to use Mandrake at home). I think it is the only thing (apart
from resistance and idiocy) that could scupper this project.

> The "CD only" install systems I have seen - and maybe Knoppix too -
>  require hard disk space for their file system. Otherwise of course
>  there's no way to save files, all a bit pointless.

Well, we all have directories on the server... part of the Windoze
network... and HDs get returned to original state by the workstation
software anyway. I would like to start off with a CD boot system,
because it means that I don't have to worry about getting machines
dedicated to Linux... until it becomes popular people still have the
option of which OS. I think that no HD writing may be the only way to
get the proposal past the headteacher and head of ICT.

> XPde looks to have great potential, but it's currently only beta.
> Judging by the July03 Linux Magazine article it's not yet good
> enough  for the environment you're talking about.

Oh. That's... not good. The reason I would like to use it is to
minimize shock to the lusers. And the screenshots looked so good...

Any other suggestions?

> Tony F
>
> PS Odd that people who want a secure network should purchase Win98
> licences!!

Well, they want a secure network in that they can claim to fulfill
their obligations under the DPA... I can see security vulnerabilities
without even touching a mouse or keyboard.