[Herts] Linux web hosting

Robert Bune herts at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 14 21:14:00 2003

You could try UK.Linux.net http://www.uklinux.net/membership/ although =
have no personal experience of their service.

Robert.

|---------+------------------------------------->
|         |           "Thorstein Thorsteinsson" |
|         |           <t_thorsteinsson@hotmail.c|
|         |           om>                       |
|         |           Sent by:                  |
|         |           herts-admin@mailman.lug.or|
|         |           g.uk                      |
|         |                                     |
|         |                                     |
|         |           14/07/2003 13:57          |
|         |           Please respond to herts   |
|         |                                     |
|---------+------------------------------------->
-------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                    =
                                                 |
  |       To:            herts@mailman.lug.org.uk                      =
                                                 |
  |       cc:                                                          =
                                                 |
  |       Subject:     [Herts] Linux web hosting                       =
                                                 |
  |                                                                    =
                                                 |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------=
-------------------------------------------------|

I would like to set up a reasonably-looking home page with my own domai=
name, etc. etc. So I've been researching into web-hosting providers, bu=
unfortunately haven't been able to find any on-oline comparisons or the=

like. So its a bit of a stab in the dark. Do any of you clever people h=
ave
any experience/recommendations in this regard?

Some requirements:
Linux(!)/Apache
cgi (perl or ideally python)
mysql
ssh and apop access are reasonable requirments, I guess?
Disk space and bandwidth! (or reasonable upgrade terms, if it proves
necessary)

Hostway (www.hostway-uk.com) seem to provide all of these, but at =A38.=
95/mth

for their most basic package, they're not cheap.

Or is the most cost-effective solution to run a server at home with a g=
ood
quality internet connection?

Thanks.
Thorstein

This material has been checked by us for computer viruses and although =
none
has been found by us, we cannot guarantee that it is completely free fr=
om
such problems and we do not accept any liability for loss or damage whi=
ch
may be caused.  Please therefore check any attachments for viruses befo=
re
using them on your own equipment.  If you do find a computer virus plea=
se
inform us immediately so that we may take appropriate action.

This communication is intended solely for the addressee and is
confidential.

distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on =
it,
is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Visit our website at http://www.hewittbaconwoodrow.co.uk (UK) or
http://www.hewittbaconwoodrow.ie (Ireland)