[Herts] Linux as a music workstation

Mr. Spock spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 27 22:32:08 GMT 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 09:10:48PM +0000, Croxley Linus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a Linux user from Croxley (The other end of Herts).

Greetings from Offley, up on the Chilterns near Hitchin.

> I'm using Mandrake 9.1 which I love to bits and have scrapped anything
> MS as I was fed up with re-installing every time the system burped.
>
> I generally do everything on my Linux boxes now, but the only thing I
> miss is some of the music applications.
>
> I have heard that the Linux Kernel is not really optimised for use as a
> music workstation, although I read somewhere that Mandrake have a low
> latency Kernel that is optimised for music use.

Kernel 2.4.xx needs Ingo Molnar's low latency patch and maybe also
Robert Love's pre-emptible scheduler patches for decent audio
performance, see:

http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/resourceslatency.php3

Kernel 2.6 has ALSA drivers built in, and also pre-empt IIRC.

> Has anyone out there experimented with Rosegarden

I intend to as soon as I have sound working :-)

I've been following the discussions on the linux-audio-user and
linux-audio-developer mailing lists for some years now; things are
really starting to take off with JACK and JAM and Ardour approaching
completion. Interesting times approaching...! Join the list:

http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/index.php3

> P.S.
>
> Any Linux users in the Watford area please feel free to get in touch.
> None of my friends understand my enthusiasm for this system :-(

We understand :)

Malcolm Smith
http://www.canopus22.demon.co.uk/
http://www.canopus22.demon.co.uk/links/software.htm#music