[Herts] RE: Wireless Router

James Ronan james at ronanweb.co.uk
Sun Jan 8 10:00:47 GMT 2006

Neil Youngman wrote:
> On Sunday 08 Jan 2006 07:22, Stephen Birch wrote:
>> nicolas(nicolas at nicolasassociates.com)@2006-01-07 20:24:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am after a couple of wireless routers. The main points required are
>>>
>>> 1. Simple installation!
>>> 2. Decent SPI firewall
>>> 3. Home solution (and home cost!!!)
>>> 4. To be used with a cable modem.
>>>
>>> Belkin have the current PC pro best buy, with their wifi MIMO (whatever
>>> that is etc, wireless router)
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>> Belkin has a good reputation and so should be okay but I have no
>> direct experience with their routers.
>>
>> I swear by Netgear and have set up several domestic sites using the
>> DG384G.  Its a nice little unit which satisfies all of your
>> requirements.
>>
>> http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.php
>
> I've just returned a Netgear WGT624, as it seemed unable to maintain a
> reliable link with my laptop and even the ethernet links seemed to have
> occasional problems.
>
> It's replacement is a Linksys WRT54G, which seems OK so far. Up to v4 the
> WRT54G runs Linux underneath and you can even get  a custom Linux distro for
> it.
>
> Neil Youngman

I'm with Neil, I use a Linksys WRT54G and have done for a while,
brilliant bit of kit.
the UI is nice and easy to use, and installation is easy. Its little
brother the WRT11
was a pilo-o-kak, the link was really unreliable and the router had to
be power cycled
every 10 mins, so needless to say that went back. Big thumbs up for the
WRT54G tho!!

James Ronan