[Herts] RE: Wireless Router

Stephen Birch sgbirch at imsmail.org
Sun Jan 8 12:47:25 GMT 2006

Neil Youngman(ny at youngman.org.uk)@2006-01-08 09:43:
> I've just returned a Netgear WGT624, as it seemed unable to maintain
> reliable link with my laptop and even the ethernet links seemed to
> have
> occasional problems.

Hmm . One man's meat is another's poison, I love my Netgear products.

BTW I also had a WRT54G but it was bricked by a simple power-fail.
Google helped me discover this is a known fault but Linksys refused to
help EVEN THOUGH THE UNIT WAS STILL UNDER WARRANTEE.  I frequently
travel between the US and UK, the Warrantee was from US, unit broke in
the UK and Linksys/UK seriously expected me to sent it back to the US
for repair even though breakage after a power failure is a known
problem.  That kind of bullshit doesn't work any more in the global
economy. I will never, ever buy a Linksys product again.

Also .. two of my friends also have bricked WRT54G units (they live
in the states).  both were annoyed enough to dump theirs and buy
new Netgear units.

> It's replacement is a Linksys WRT54G, which seems OK so far. Up to
> v4 the
> WRT54G runs Linux underneath and you can even get  a custom Linux
> distro for
> it.

My Linksys unit worked well enough until the power failure killed
it. The
problem isn't caused by power spikes (it was on protected power), its
something to do with the way the unit boots; if the power cycles a few
times it kills the unit.  This is a common scenario following a power
cut so beware. My advice ... put yours on a UPS.