[Herts] IRC

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Sun Jul 1 21:06:11 BST 2007

Hi Cliff,

Cliff Deamer wrote:
> Hi,
> I need a helping hand (again!)
> I was trying to access the IRC channel discussed in David P's mail but
> without success, here is what I am doing.
> I go to http://ircatwork.com
> Enter nickname
> Server is irc.techwarelabs.com
> and channel  #hertslug
> This opens the channel but obviously not the one other members of the
> group are using.
> What am I doing wrong?

You're connecting to the wrong network. There's several IRC networks,
you need to connect to one of the many EFnet servers.  You can find a
list at:

http://www.efnet.org/?module=servers

My normal recommendations are efnet.demon.co.uk, irc.choopa.net,
irc.prison.net, irc.mzima.net, irc2.choopa.net, irc.blessed.net.

So, using that ircatwork.com link, you'll need to change the server from
the default to one of the EFnet servers.

I found out that EFnet have their own CGI::IRC instance at
http://chat.efnet.org/ which you could use, but they don't seem to allow
you to choose a server, which is pretty stupid (the one it picked by
default wasn't allowing any more connections as it's full).

If you start getting in to IRC, you'll probably start finding web-based
IRC a pain, and want a real client.  My preference is XChat
(www.xchat.org), but there's plenty of others - KDE's Konversation is
used by at least one of our group, and even Gaim (or Pidgin, as it's now
called) has basic IRC support.

If you'd prefer to do it from a console, there's irssi (my preferred
console client), BitchX, ircII and others.

Cheers

Dave P

--
David Precious