[Herts] Mashing up the LUG

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Sat Jul 21 11:51:11 BST 2007

We've talked before about revamping the LUG web site, but we don't seem to
have got anywhere as yet. I would just like to make some suggestions, some of
which I have mentioned before:

1. We're into open projects, so we should try and show them support. The
OpenStreetmap project has really come along in the last year or so. Their
coverage of Stevenage is pretty good, so perhaps our map to show the meeting
location should come from there now. You can see it at

http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.88936734398042&lon=-0.1718201749844773&zoom=15

I can see it's missing a few minor roads compared with the existing one, but
maybe we could do a mapping session one month to remedy that. I know a couple
of people at least have a GPS.

2. Also on the mapping front, I think we should drop the Frappr link. It's
another non-open system. Ages ago I managed to make a Google map of some
members based on metadata embedded in their web sites

http://bagofspoons.net/map/gmap.html

I know Google are not as open as we might like, but they happen to have the
best free mapping API for now. Maybe OpenStreetmap will add something similar
one day. Meanwhile, if more people added the GeoURL data to their sites and
we got the member list page up to date, we could have our own map that we
fully control.

3. A common feature in various open source communities is the Planet blog
aggregator. A few of us have blogs with RSS/ATOM feeds and some of us to
subscribe to each other. There are also other sources of similar data such as
Last.fm (music listening), del.icio.us (bookmarks), Flickr etc. A nice site
to bring those all together is

http://mugshot.org/

A bonus is that it's open source, from Red Hat. They have concepts of contacts
and groups. We could start a Herts LUG group. There are alternatives like
Facebook, but I don't like the proprietary nature of these.

Okay, I just wanted to get those thoughts into the open. Any comments,
suggestions, criticisms are welcome.

http://bagofspoons.net