[Herts] Disabling IP 6

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Sun May 13 14:28:25 BST 2007

Cliff Deamer wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
> I was trying to get more information on this subject at the last meeting
> but not really successful.
> Can you tell me how to access and disable IP6?

A quick Google suggests editing /etc/modprobe.d/aliases, and commenting
out the following line:

alias net-pf-10 ipv6

You can see if IPv6 is enabled/disabled with:

# /sbin/ifconfig | grep inet6

If it returns anything, IPv6 is enabled.

Other suggestions (for other distros too) include editing
/etc/modprobe.conf to add "alias net-pf-10 off", or editing
/etc/hotplug/blacklist and adding "ipv6".

I have ipv6 support enabled on my lappy, and it doesn't seem to cause
any problems, but I might try turning it off.  My gateway (which also
acts as my caching DNS resolver) doesn't have IPv6 enabled, so perhaps
that stops it affecting me, who knows.

Cheers

Dave P