[Herts] Printer recommendation?

spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk
Sat May 19 23:32:42 BST 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 08:32:28PM +0000, Ian Gregory wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am planning to get a basic monochrome laser printer for use at home
> with my iMac. I am looking at the HP LaserJet 1022 which is well within
> my price range (it is available for 149 quid at the UK Apple Store and
> probably cheaper elsewhere).
>
> Any thoughts or other recommendations?

Whatever you do, it's worth getting one that flies with Linux:

Printer Compatibility Database
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/DatabaseIntro
http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

> If I decide to spend a bit more the main extra features I would like
> are automatic duplex printing, Postscript emulation and Ethernet
> connection (although I will only be using it from the one computer
> for now, it would be nice to be able to plug it into my router at
> the other end of the room instead of having to connect it directly
> by USB).

When I was looking into printers recently, I was drawn first to the
Kyocera Mita FS-1010 and FS-1020D mono lasers. Then I thought that I
need colour, and investigated the Konica Minolta range based on the
Suggested printers page above. I still don't have a modern printer.

Slashdot used to rave about the old HP LaserJet4 as being a solid
workhorse, but they are big, bulky and probably way too
energy-inefficient for this day and age.

HTH
--
Malc
http://www.thesmith.org.uk/comp/acorn/juki.html