[Herts] XMCE 0.1 released (semi-shameless plug)

David Honour thegoatee at tiscali.co.uk
Thu May 24 06:51:35 BST 2007

First off I apologise for hijacking the thread, I had assumed the threading
was done by subject, but, apparently not. I also use a threaded mail reader
so I suffer from this as much as anyone.

There is some documentation in the ~/.xconfigure/documentation directory,
although I will admit it is rather limited.

The installer was the first thing to get written and, whilst it has changed
slightly there is further to go before it is any good. It is supposed to
search a home dir and find the 3 .tar.gz files then unpack them to their
respective directories, this does seem to cause a lot of issues so it would
be nice to think that this would be changed for 0.2. The whole program plus
some odd bits like some new language tools are in the SVN, however the
installer hasn't been changed. If you look at langselect as an example you
will see how much my BASH programming has come along since then (mainly due
to 'Learning the Bash shell').

As for that message, I totally agree, and would like to add:
if [`whoami` = 'root' ]; then
	echo 'XMCE should be run as user'
	exit;
fi
To both the installer and the startxmce script. (The installer already detects
the existence of ~/.xconfigure. (quick note, all the files are tab indented,
so, any changes to the svn should reflect this for the sake of consistency.

The packaging system and installation procedure is a mess and I fully
recognise that.

Like I say the installer was written the back end of last year and is
hopeless, if you wanna dive in and have a go at fixing it i'll give you a dev
account for it, if not, it will be waiting until the language stuff is done.

I know that you're being constructive, you actually looked at it!
Thanks, all feedback is appreciated:
David